Friday, October 24, 2014

Week Eleven: Reading Diary

Part A: This week I read Alice in Wonderland unit. It was really fun and entertaining to read. I have seen the Disney version many many years ago so I don't really remember much. This unit was interesting because it was very similar to what I remember of the movie and it really struck me how weird the plot is. Basically, Alice is a young girl who is bored and then follows a rabbit down a rabbit hole. The rabbit had a watch and a waistcoat, which struck her as odd. She followed the tunnel down the rabbit hole and came upon a room. There, by magically growing and shrinking with food or drinks she fits into a small door that leads to a garden. This is the basis of Down the Rabbit Hole parts one through three. After reading all the other children's fairytales, what strikes me about these stories is the lack of defined moral or even real plot. The story just goes in all different directions and doesn't have an end theme. What is the point of the story telling? Is it all supposed to mean something?

Part B: The most interesting part of this section for me was Who Stole The Tarts? story. It just seemed so random and confusing. I don't exactly remember if the movie follows the storyline, but I do vaguely remember the characters. The events that happened seemed so strange. The witnesses were all unique in their own ways. The Hatter wore a hat he sold and got so nervous he got on the ground and begged. Random descriptions of jurors and other members attending were injected into the story and I'm not sure what the point was. The Duchess snuck out and then Alice was called up. The whole chain of events was really pretty strange to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment